Monday, September 14, 2009

Here I am! :)

Here is my first post! I have decided to start blogging for no reason in particular. I think it will be fun and interesting to say the least. I was first intrigued by blogging when I started reading Kelly's blog. What an awesome way to document the things going on in your life, keep family and friends informed, and just have fun.

I thought that I needed a good reason to start a blog but I have finally just decided to get one. I will be able to post pictures of trips (we have a trip to SF coming up!) and hopefully keep up with family. Another reason I wanted to blog is that I am constantly looking for new, simple receipes to cook for two people. I have found some great blogs out there that are great and hopefully, I can share some of my receipes (although I'm the worst cook ever - I try though!).

I had to come up with a blog name so I googled my name to see if anything interesting came up. Here is what Wikipedia gave me: Kelsey is an English surname and originated from an Old English place name in Lincolnshire, England. The place name derived from words meaning "Ceol's island." (Mills 1991). In modern times Kelsey has also become a given name for boys and girls in English-speaking countries. Kelsey comes from 'island of the ships' in Irish and Scots, and 'a dweller on the island, by the water' from Norwegian

So I used "Island" in my blog name. It so happens that my new last name - Solis - means "sun". This is perfect because I would love to be on an island with the sun and sand :) haha

We will see how well I keep up with the blog world. For today, though, I am going to post a receipe that I made yesterday because it's been rainy around here lately and I was wanting some stew. Many of you have probably seen it but it is so good:

Mexican Stew
  • 1 lb of ground beef
  • 1/2 onion

*Brown the ground beef and add in onion. Once the meat and onion are cooked, add in:

  • 1 can corn (don't drain)
  • 1-2 cans ranch style beans (depending on your liking of beans)
  • 1-2 cans of Rotel
  • 1/3 lb of Velveeta

*Let simmer until hot throughout and cheese is melted.

I put the 1-2 cans because my husband is not a big fan of tomatoes or beans but I love them so I just put 1 can of each in but it calls for two cans. Also, check the thickness and adjust your velveesta accordingly but be careful because you can easily make it too cheesy! :)

Also, I know some people who have add taco seasoning or ranch seasoning to their meat after it is browned. I will probably try the ranch seasoning next time. This makes a big pot but I split it up and take it to work for lunch. Great with cornbread!

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment